Art dealer and gallery holder Christian Mario Balthasar Faerber was born in Naples in 1901, the son of a Swiss engineer who, in 1880, had been involved in building the funicular railway up Vesuvius (celebrated in the song ‘Funiculì Funiculà’ written by Peppino Turco and Luigi Denza that same year). Christian studied art history in Munich and worked for some years in the Matthiesen Gallery in Berlin. With the rise of Hitler he left Germany in 1933/4 and settled in Sweden, later becoming a Swedish subject. He opened his own gallery in Gothenburg, which he called the Matthiesen Gallery because of his friendship with Francis Matthiesen, although the firm was completely independent.
Though primarily a specialist in Old Masters, he supported the sculptor Marino Marini. Having first seen his work at the 1952 Venice Biennale, he bought thirty-three of the artist’s works and organised a tour of Scandinavian museums to show his work. In 1960 he moved to London to join the staff of the Matthiesen Gallery, where he spent the last six or seven years of his life. When Francis Matthiesen died in 1963, he helped Stefanie Maison (Matthiesen’s secretary) to wind up the gallery. The two subsequently established the art firm of Faerber & Maison at no. 36 New Bond Street. Faerber died soon afterwards, early in 1967.