Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

1969-onwards - Charlotte Street (Fitzrovia)

Chef and restaurateur Gennaro Contaldo was born on 21 January 1949 in the village of Minori on the Amalfi Coast. Having left Italy in 1969 he learned the trade at Antonio Carluccio’s Neal Street restaurant in Covent Garden. Between 1999 and 2009 he ran his own Passione restaurant at no. 10 Charlotte Street. The chef’s cooking style, combining his liking for game and fungi with the use of seasonal ingredients and herbs, was reflective of the Amalfi Coast where young Gennaro grew up (Passione was awarded Best Italian Restaurant 2005’ by the Tio Pepe Restaurant Awards). In April 2003, Contaldo published his first book entitled Passione which is dedicated to the Amalfi style of cooking. It won the Gourmand World Cookbook Best Italian Cuisine Book’ for 2003. A number of other cookbooks followed. Jamie Oliver is Contaldo’s protégé.

Up next 1971-onwards - Wandsworth Road (Lambeth) 1947-1998 - West Heath Drive (Hampstead)
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)