Dictionary of London Immigrants |||

54 BC-410 - Watling Road (City of Lonagsdon)

Watling Street was an ancient trackway that was later paved by the Romans from London to Dover. A section of Watling Street still exists in the City of London. In 60/1 AD the so-called Battle of Watling Street took place between an alliance of indigenous Brythonic tribes and the Romans. Though outnumbered, the Romans gained victory which secured Roman rule until 410. There remain many traces of Roman London, an era in which England was an integral part of Europe. In its glory days, the city may have numbered some 25,000 inhabitants. With the departure of the Romans, London’s civilisation crumbled. It was not until the arrival of a new wave of immigrants after the Norman Conquest that London recovered its early development.

Up next 43-onwards - Walbrook (City of London) 190-225 - Coleman Street (City of London)
Latest posts 1872-1883 - Drury Lane (Covent Garden) 1874-1884 - Connaught Square (Bayswater) 1873-1916 - Coningham Road (Shepherd’s Bush) 1873-1887 - Rathbone Place (Fitzrovia) 1872-1955 - Great Portland Street (Westminster) 187?-1915 - Leather Lane (Holborn) 1871-1930 - Howley Place (Maida Vale) 1870-1921 - Waterford Road (Fulham) 1870-1901 - Strand (Covent Garden) 1868-1913 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1872-1906 - Upper Cheyne Row (Chelsea) 1865-1873 - Haymarket (Westminster) 1868-1896 - Finchley Road (Hampstead) 1865 -1916 - Masboro Road West (Hammersmith) 1864-1889 - Mortimer Street (Westminster) 1861-1903 - High Holborn (Holborn) 1861-1894 - Gray’s Inn Road (Holborn) 1861-1893 - Cale Street (Chelsea) 1860-1999 - Regent Street (West End) 1860-1919 - Clapham Park (Lambeth) 1858-1903 - Bow Street (Covent Garden) 1857-1864 - Welbeck Street (Marylebone) 1860-1914 - Frith Street (Soho) 1860-1880 - Little Saffron Hill (Clerkenwell) 1855-1922 - York Terrace (Marylebone) 1859-1930 - Lyndhurst Road (Hampstead) 1855-1875 - Marlborough Place (St John’s Wood) 1855-1860 - Not traced (Wapping) 1854-1911 - Nottingham Place (Marylebone) 1848-1862 - Salisbury Place (Marylebone) 1852-1895 - Duke Street (Westminster)